Small scholarships, especially in support of study abroad, are sometimes available through the Spanish enrichment funds. Students are also encouraged to consult with the Programs Abroad Office in the Center for International Education concerning possible funding opportunities.
Scholarship Opportunities for international study are available through the CIE Website.
Study Abroad Scholarship — Kirkland Family Spanish Award
The selection of the recipient(s) of the Kirkland Family Spanish Award Fund will be made twice a year by the Faculty of the Spanish Program within the Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures, provided there are acceptable candidates for the award and sufficient funds. Amount of each award: $500-1000 depending on the availability of funds.
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Declared Spanish major
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing
- Overall GPA of at least 3.00
- Minimum GPA of 3.5 in upper level Spanish Classes
- Must have completed Spanish 323 and Spanish 330 at the time of study abroad program.
- Will be studying in a CIE approved study abroad program for at least one semester
- Will be enrolled full-time in a study abroad program (minimum of 12 hours of Spanish classes per semester)
- Have not previously received a Kirkland Family Spanish Award
- Cover letter stating where, for how long, and with what program you are studying
- Unofficial transcript
- Completed faculty evaluation Form
- Original 500-word essay in Spanish. In this essay you should explain your motivation for study abroad (personal and academic), your choice of program and your experiences in and out of the classroom that have prepared you for study abroad. The essay should be well written, both in terms of style and grammar.
Applicants should send their application package by April 15 (for the fall semester) and by November 15 (for the spring semester) to the address below. Acceptance letters will be mailed to the address the student provides.
Chair of Spanish Program
701 McClung Tower
Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures
University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996